Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mom knows best

My mom is a great cook. But one of my favorite things she made for me and my sister was her "Get Well Soup". The soup is really easy to make and its deliciously simple. Although when I was older I found out it was a typical Greek soup recipe, I still love it and call it Mom's Get Well Soup. So when you are feeling a little under the weather, whip up a batch of this soup and you'll be feeling better before you know it!

Mom's Get Well Soup

2 Quarts of Chicken Broth
1/2 cup of rice (although I always add extra!)
4 eggs
Juice of 2 lemons ( less than 1/4 cup)

Cook rice in chicken broth until almost tender. Mix eggs and lemon juice in a separate bowl. You may want to start with less lemon juice because you can always add more to taste later. When rice is done, remove soup from heat. Slowly add soup to egg and lemon mixture while stirring constantly to raise temperature of egg/lemon mixture without curdling. When egg/lemon and broth mixture is close to soup mixture combine with rest of soup mixture. Do not bring soup to a boil after this step because eggs will curdle. The soup should just be nice a cloudy without big clumps.

No comments: